Time for some ghostly fun
It's the season of ghosts and goblins tempting us with thrills, chills and perhaps too much Halloween candy. Here are destinations where you can head to for some ghostly fun.india Updated: Oct 14, 2009 17:39 IST
It's the season of ghosts and goblins tempting us with thrills, chills and perhaps too much Halloween candy. Here are destinations where you can head to for some ghostly fun.
1. Durango, Colorado Board the historic Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad in search of the Great Pumpkin. Ride the Great Pumpkin Patch Express and enjoy spectacular scenery. Detrain at a pumpkin patch, where Peanuts characters such as Charlie Brown, Lucy and Snoopy will help children select a pumpkin to keep. Adding to the good times will be live music, bounce houses, trick-or-treating and a hay-bale maze.
Contact: www.durangotrain.com and www.durango.org
2. Sierra Sky Ranch Resort, Oakhurst, California Built in 1875, this resort was once the largest cattle ranch in California, a hospital for children in the early 1900s and a military hospital during World War II. This diverse history has made it an active location for reported paranormal activity and a popular stop for ghost hunters.
Contact: www.sierraskyranch.com and www.yosemitethisyear.com
3. Brown Palace Hotel, Denver It?s said that some guests have so enjoyed their time at this historic hotel that they never left. That may explain the sightings of spirits, mysterious music and eyebrow-raising phenomena described by the hotel historian during twice-weekly ghost tours offered during October.
4. New York If you and your family are in the mood to take in what may be the zaniest of all Halloween festivities, be there for the 36th annual Greenwich Village parade that jives and jostles its way up Sixth Avenue (between Spring and 22nd streets) each year on October 31. More than 2 million spectators will see 45,000 costumed revelers, including marching bands, puppeteers, dancers, artists and musicians.
5. Haunted houses. Sticky cobwebs, scary music, hair-raising screams. If you dare, find a haunted place near you and boldly go into the night. During this spooky season, you?ll find fields of screams, terror in the cornfields and even entire towns devoted to scaring you.
To find one, visit www.hauntedhouse.com.