Formula One will have 20 races next year and not the record 21 listed on a calendar published last week, according to International Automobile Federation (FIA) president Jean Todt.
The Frenchman, straying into an area normally controlled by the sport’s commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone, could not say which race might be axed although Turkey already has an asterisk against it.
"Absolutely not," Todt said in an interview carried out at the MotoGP race in Barcelona at the weekend when asked whether there would be 21 races."There are 21 dates, but the championship will be with 20 grands prix. We don't know which one will go, but the world championship will be 20 races," he emphasised.
The Turkish Grand Prix at Istanbul on May 6 was listed as subject to confirmation after being called into question when local organisers said it faced the axe because of a disagreement over payments to Ecclestone.
The race has been poorly attended in recent years but the circuit is popular with drivers.
Next year's calendar also sees the United States making a return to the championship with a new circuit in Austin, Texas, scheduled for June 17.
Spain is currently the only country with two races, in Barcelona and the European Grand Prix at the street circuit in the harbour front of the city of Valencia.