The operator of the Gurgaon Expressway has sought compensation from the Haryana government for the losses incurred by it due to the forcible opening of toll plaza gates during protests.
On Monday, protesters, who are demanding the removal of two toll plazas on the expressway, forcibly opened the toll gates at Kherki Daula plaza.
In November last year, a mob had forcibly opened the toll gates of the 32-lane plaza.
The Delhi-Gurgaon Super Connectivity Ltd (DGSCL), the private operator managing the expressway, claimed that it lost Rs50,000 as toll revenue during this week’s protest and around Rs40,000 in November’s agitation.
“We have written to various government authorities, including financial commissioner, principal secretary (home) and project director at NHAI, seeking compensation for the revenue loss,” said a DGSCL spokesperson.
“We have also requested for the issuance of instructions to the Gurgaon traffic police to restrain locals from forcibly opening toll gates in future,” the spokesperson said, adding that forcible opening of the toll gates is illegal.
Villagers from nearby areas and local people, under the banner of Toll Hatao Sangharsh Samiti, have been protesting against the collection of toll.
They had first kept open the toll gates near Delhi border for more than 30 minutes and did a similar thing by freeing the Kherki Daula plaza a few days ago.
According to the DGSCL spokesperson, there are instances when the traffic police themselves open the toll gates to ease traffic flow at toll plazas.