The grandeur of TomKat's Italian nuptials not only caught guests by surprise, but it also found its place at the top of the In Touch magazine poll.
The couple's star-studded wedding that took place on November 18 , 2006 topped a new list of the Weddings of The Year, followed by punk-pop couple Avril Lavigne and Deryck Whibley.
Kid Rock and Pamela Anderson's five-minute St Tropez, France wedding came in third, while Tori Spelling's second big day with new husband Dean McDermott on a beach in Fiji went on to claim thefourth slot, reports Contactmusic.
And, while Cruise's Italian wedding crashed in at number one, actress Patricia Arquette's marriage with Thomas Jane in Venice, Italy made the top 10 at number five.
The top 10 weddings of the year, according to In Touch are:
1. Tom Cruise + Katie Holmes in Italy
2. Deryck Whibley + Avril Lavigne in Montecito, California
3. Kid Rock + Pamela Anderson in St Tropez, France
4. Dean McDermott + Tori Spelling in Fiji
5. Thomas Jane + Patricia Arquette in Venice, Italy
6. Brigitte Nielson + Mattia Dessi in Malta
7. Anna Nicole Smith + Howard K Stern in the Bahamas
8. Pink + Carey Hart in Costa Rica
9. Oliver Hudson + Erinn Bartlett in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
10. Nicole Kidman + Keith Urban in Manly, Australia.