Marcus Trescothick faced an uncertain future as an England cricketer after it was announced on Wednesday that he'd been left out of the 14-man squad for next month's International Cricket Council (ICC) Champions Trophy one-day tournament in India on medical grounds.
In a statement, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said the opening batsman was still suffering from stomach problems and stress that dated back to his premature departure from the tour of India earlier in 2006.
At the time the ECB initially said Trescothick had come home after two weeks in India for "personal reasons" although he later revealed in a television interview he'd been suffering from a virus.
"Following specialist medical advice received by the England selectors, Marcus Trescothick will not be named in the 14-man squad for October's ICC Champions Trophy in India," the statement said.
It added that Trescothick would be fit to resume playing cricket by the time England's Ashes defence began in Australia in November.
"The selectors have been pleased to learn that the treatment Marcus has been receiving throughout the (English) summer has resulted in very positive progress and he is expected to be fit to resume playing for England prior to the Ashes tour.
A spokesman for Performance Healthcare, the specialists treating Trescothick, said: "After his return from the tour of India, Marcus sought specialist help for his ongoin symptoms.
"In addition to the deleterious effect of the acquired gastrointestinal infection on his health, it later became evident he was also suffering from an underlying stress-related illness."
The spokesman added: "He has been receiving specialist treatment which has allowed him to resume his position in the England team.
"However, we believe it would be premature for him to tour India in October. Rest is an important part of his treatment and he will need recovery time before the Ashes tour begins in November.
"Marcus has made significant progress, witnessed by the fact that he is now at a stage where he has openly accepted the full extent of the illness which he suffered."
England's chairman of selectors, David Graveney, added: "It is a blow Marcus will not be available (for the Champions Trophy) but we are delighted he will be made available for selection for the tour of Australia which follows.
Somerset left-hander Trescothick, England's all-time leading century-maker in one-day cricket, with 12 hundreds in 123 appearances, said: "I am grateful for all the support and understanding which had been shown to me and my family during the period of treatment which I have undertaken since my return from India."
"I was keen to take part in the ICC Champions Trophy but I do appreciate that my specialist's advice is that I must first continue the treatment devised for me," added Trescothick, bowled for a first-ball nought by Shoaib Akhtar in Tuesday's two-wicket day/night one-day international defeat against Pakistan at the Rose Bowl.
"Having come to terms with the extent of my illness last (northern) winter, I recognise that I am now well on course to make a full recovery and I am determined to play a full part in the Ashes tour.