Trinamool leader arrested after high court threat | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 26, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Trinamool leader arrested after high court threat

india Updated: Feb 09, 2014 11:31 IST
HT Correspondent

Five days after severe criticism and a threat by Calcutta high court to hand over probe to another agency, the Criminal Investigations Department (CID), arrested a Trinamool 'anchal president' in connection with the murder of a party's rebel worker last year.

Sheikh Yunus arrested on the night of February 8 from a village in Kasba area. He will be produced in Suri court today. Yunus in just one of the 41 persons named in the FIR, in which Bidhum district president of Trinamool, Anubrata Mondal, is also mentioned.

Sagar Ghosh, a rebel in the Trinamool camp, was shot at his home under Birbhum's Parui police station on July 21, last year. He succumbed to the injuries two days later.

He was shot four days after the party's Birbhum president Anubrata Mandal exhorted party supporters to attack the independents in a public meeting held at Kasba village on July 17, 2013. In the run-up to Bengal rural polls, Trinamool leaders were getting apprehensive of the independents who broke away from party ranks and wanted to contested the polls.

Ghsoh's son, Hriday, was an independent candidate in the polls.

The CID's lackadaisical approach in probing the murder in which several top Trinamool Congress leaders, including the formidable district president Anubrata Mandal are implicated, came under sharp criticism by Calcutta high court on February 3.

Justice Dipankar Dutta pointed out the loopholes in probe and threatened to handover the investigation to 'another agency' (perhaps implying the CBI) if the CID fails to act fast and come clean by February 10.

On February 3 state counsel Shakhya Sen submitted the CID investigation report before the justice, who had a slew of sharp reactions to which Sen had few answers. The judge first asked Sen about test identification parade, and whether the accused named in FIR subjected to it.

When the advocate said none of those were done, it triggered an outburst of the justice in the court. One by one he pointed out the basic loopholes in the probe

The justice went through the case diary and came up with sharp comments. "The gunshot wounds were received on July 21, 2013, at 11.30 pm. The victim was admitted to hospital by police at 2am. The first complaint was lodged the same day, on July 22. The victim died two days later. Why wasn't his statement recorded then?"

If the police had done so, the state would now have had incriminating evidence. The judge also noticed that 'July 22, 2013' was overwritten with a 'July 21, 2013' date - the day the arrests were made. "Who is behind this?" Justice Dutta asked.

The Calcutta high court also directed the Birbhum police chief to provide security to the relatives of the victim who feared for their lives.

The high court had ordered a CID probe into the murder after Ghosh's relatives had filed a petition. The court ordered that a complaint lodged by Ghosh's daughter-in-law Shibani on July 23 should be treated as the FIR.

In the complaint Shibani alleged that the attack on her father-in-law (Sagar Ghosh) was carried out three days after Mandal's address to his party workers.

She also complained against Parui police saying that the men in uniform came to her house in the night and made her and her mother-in-law Saraswati sign on a blank paper at gunpoint.