MDMK leader Vaikoon on Friday said the 48-hour ceasefire announced by Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse in Vanni region to evacuate civilian Tamils caught in the fighting between the army and LTTE was only aimed at "fooling" the world.
In a statement in Chennai, Vaiko said 'unless there is an unconditional ceasefire, the present announcement can only be seen as an excuse to intensify army offensive and aimed at fooling the world," Vaiko said.
He said LTTE had announced a two-month voluntary ceasefire in December 2001 and the Lankan government was "forced" to reciprocate then after pressure from various countries including Norway.
"The government first walked out of the ceasefire last year and did not accept a proposal in this regard from the LTTE two months back," he said.
India cannot claim credit to the latest announcement of truce from Colombo, as "it never pressed for a ceasefire," with the Sri Lankan leadership, he said.