Two killed in Shopian encounter | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 02, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Two killed in Shopian encounter

india Updated: Apr 26, 2014 11:15 IST
HT Correspondent
Shopian encounter

A day after the polls, security forces were engaged in a fierce gun battle with militants in south Kashmir's Shopian district, in which two militants were killed.

Sources said one army man has also been critically injured in the gunfight. While police spokesperson refused to confirm the news, sources have identified the injured as Major Mukund of the 44 Rashtriya Rifles.

The gunfight broke out between the group of militants and security forces after a specific intelligence input about their presence in Karewa-Manlo village, nearly 8 km from the district's main centre.

"We cordoned the area after specific information about presence of three militants in a house in the area. Two militants have been killed and the encounter is still on," said SP Shopian Showkat Shah told Hindustan Times.

According to sources, the third militant has also been killed but the police are yet to confirm the death.

Police, army's 44 Rashtriya Rifles and the Central Reserve Police Force launched a cordon and search operation in the village close to a forest area on Friday afternoon.

The trapped militants were identified as Muhammad Asif Wani, a resident of Drubgam in neighbouring Pulwama district, Abdul Haq from Arvinipora in Shopian, and Shabir Ahmad from Keller from Pulwama.

"All the militants are locals belonging to Hizbul Mujahidden. Shabir Ahmad was a murder convict who had escaped police custody and later joined militancy," Shah added.

Pulwama had witnessed killings of four people including two village heads in the last one week. Pulwama and Shopian are part of Anantnag constituency which went to polls on April 24.

The house in which militants were holed up was completely destroyed. The operation has been suspended for the night but the cordon is still on.

Meanwhile, clashes between government forces and locals erupted near Narpora village after people from Drabgam and its adjacent villages tried to move towards encounter site after the news of killing of a local militant spread in the area.