Two more Indonesians jailed over Bali blasts | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 28, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Two more Indonesians jailed over Bali blasts

Muhammad Cholily and Dwi Widiyarto got lengthy jail terms for their roles in last year's Bali restaurant bombings.

india Updated: Sep 07, 2006 13:38 IST

An Indonesian court sentenced two men on Thursday to lengthy jail terms for their roles in last year's Bali restaurant bombings, with one describing his 18-year term as a birthday gift.

Muhammad Cholily was found guilty of assembling bombs used in the October 1, 2005, attacks and called his 18-year sentence "the sweetest birthday gift". He was born on September 8.

"Allah's destiny is beautiful. Nothing's wrong with Allah's destiny. I will never accept this punishment. This is a satanic law," he told reporters with a smile.

Three suicide bombers blew themselves up at three restaurants on the resort island, killing 20 people.

"Muhammad Cholily, together with Azahari and Noordin M Top, assembled the bombs and the defendant admitted and realised that the bombs were to be used in attacks," said Firman Tambunan, a member of the three-judge panel at Denpasar district court.

The court also jailed Dwi Widiyarto for eight years for transferring footage on a camcorder showing Top making a fiery speech. Authorities say Top has masterminded several attacks, including last year's Bali blasts.

"The defendant knew that Noordin Top ... was a fugitive from law wanted by Indonesian police," said judge Wayan Yasa Abadi.

Widiyarto has admitted in court he had advance knowledge of the attacks.

Judges on Tuesday also jailed Indonesian web designer Abdul Aziz for eight years after he set up a militant Web site on behalf of Top, who remains at large.

A case against two other men linked to the Bali bombings is continuing.

Police say Top and Azahari Husin, both Malaysian nationals, were leading figures in the Al-Qaeda-linked Southeast Asian network Jemaah Islamiah.

The group is blamed for terror attacks in the region including bombings in Bali in 2002 that killed 202 people, most of them foreign tourists.

Azahari was killed last year during a shootout in the East Java town of Batu.