Two new arrivals in zoological garden | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 21, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Two new arrivals in zoological garden

india Updated: Oct 11, 2006 00:21 IST

MONTH of October has proved to be auspicious for the Zoological Garden (Zoo). Within a period of ten days, the zoo received two new arrivals ‘by birth’.

On Sunday last, a Manipuri deer popularly known as Shanghai deer gave birth to a baby. The sex of the bay could not be identified so far due to biological reasons. According to the zoo veterinary doctor UC Srivastava both the mother and the baby were hale and hearty. He told HT that this species of deer was found in the forests of Manipur. According to an estimate, the total population of these deer in the forests was around one hundred.

About 90 Shanghai deer were in the various zoos of the country. The Zoo had nine Shanghai deer, but with the arrival of new baby their number has gone up to ten. Besides, on October first a female Chausingha deer gave birth to a baby, which raised their population from four to five deer. Dr Srivastava said that chausinghas belonged to the smallest breed of deer. This breed was on the verge of extinction, he added.

He said the babies of both the deer were with their mother who takes exclusive care of their respective babies. Mother deer do no not allow the babies to move of their own and keep them in well-protected hiding places in the enclosure.

Mothers become aggressive if any of the visitors ventured to have a view of their babies. They feed them in isolated and covered place, as female deer were shy in nature.  On the other hand, zoo authorities are making hectic efforts to civilise the most ferocious leopard received from Lucknow zoo some four months ago in June this year.

The leopard was shifted here on June 8 and it was kept in the animal hospital for getting it accustomed to the life in the enclosure. But even after four months, the leopard could not change itself. It is still violent and tried to attack the visitors.

According to the zoo veterinary, it was highly wild and was unmanageable. It did not have regard for its own fellows living in the enclosures. It still growled wildly seeing them. Consequently, it was not shifted to its natural enclosure was kept in one of the indoor patient wards at the animal hospital.

The ward has a room, open courtyard and iron fencing all around it. It was likely to be kept here for another three months veterinary said.