Two other rape cases on Dec 16 that were never reported | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 23, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Two other rape cases on Dec 16 that were never reported

December 16 Coverage Updated: Dec 11, 2015 15:23 IST
Soibam Rocky Singh
December 16 gangrape

Almost three hours after the Delhi Police got to know of the brutal assault on the 16/12 gang rape case victim and her male friend, they were also informed of another gang rape of a woman in a moving bus in South West Delhi.

While the four culprits in the first case have been awarded death penalty, not even an FIR was registered in the second one. Here too the men who raped her threw her out of a moving bus.

The police neither got her medically examined nor did they trace the culprits and the vehicle involved.

Not just this, the police did not register any FIR in another incident of rape of a six-year-old girl in Kusumpur Pahari area the same day.

This was despite the fact that two calls were made to the police at 6.39 pm and 11.51 pm on December 16, 2012 from two different mobile phone numbers on rape of a five-six years girl. The calls were mentioned in Daily Dairy Report as 39A and 59B at Police Station Vasant Kunj North.

These startling revelations are part of the report of Justice Usha Mehra Commission that inquired into the lapses of the Delhi Police to fix responsibility of the Delhi gang rape. The Commission submitted its report to the UPA Government on February 22, 2013.

“This shows that Delhi police is in the habit of suppressing rape cases which are reported from the lower strata of the society and not worth investigation justifying the perception of public at large,” Justice Usha Mehra said in her report.

The first incident was reported in Wireless Logbook of South West Control Room and Dairy register at around 1.15 am on the intervening night of December 16-17 wherein it was mentioned that two-three men had beaten up and raped a woman in the bus and thrown her out after snatching her bag.

“This entry can be seen at Serial No. 83 dated December 17, 2012…it was kept for verification on the ground that they were unable to contact the husband. She was neither medically examined nor the vehicle was traced and the culprits identified and arrested,” the commission said in its report.

The second incident relating to child rape was reported to the South District Control Room at 6.39 pm and DD report no. 39A was entrusted to sub-inspector Mahesh Bhargava.

When no response was received by the caller of the incident from the police, another call was made to the police control room, which was passed to Police Station Vasant Kunj at 11.49 pm. This was recorded as DD no 59B.

In this report, the incident was described as a rape of 5-6 years old girl near the shop of a particular person in Kusum Pur Pahari. This report was too also entrusted to SI Bhargava.

The next day, SI Bhargava recorded his arrival entry in the Police Station Vasant Kunj North at about 5.45 pm as DD report 53B.

In this DD report he did not say a word as to what he did with the two reports entrusted to him regarding rape of girl child in Kusumpur Pahari when the address of the house with the nearby shop was mentioned along with the mobile number of two callers.

The Commission mentioned that in his deposition, Bhargava took completely “false stand” that these two reports of alleged rape of girl child pertained to the incident of sodomy.

“Commission has failed to understand that when report of sodomy was recorded as separate incident in DD report 35A and report 39A and other recorded as DD report 59B, how these report could have been of the same incident,” the Justice Mehra report said.

“No such record in the shape of statement of caller nor any witness has been placed on record to justify the stand of SI Mahesh Kumar that these incidents pertained to one incident only,” it said.

However, when HT dialed one of the complainants of the child rape incident, he said it was a case of sodomy and the culprit, who was arrested by the police, is currently on bail.