Two sent to custody in HuJI email case | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 19, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Two sent to custody in HuJI email case

A sessions court in Kishtwar on Wednesday sent to judicial custody two persons suspected to have sent the email that claimed responsibility for the New Delhi blast on September 7.

india Updated: Sep 15, 2011 01:06 IST
Amir Karim Tantray

A sessions court in Kishtwar on Wednesday sent to judicial custody two persons suspected to have sent the email that claimed responsibility for the New Delhi blast on September 7.

The email had been sent on behalf of the militant organisation Harkat-ul-Jihad-e-Islami (HuJI).

Principal sessions and district judge Mohan Lal Manhas sent them to prison after the police sought the remand of Shariq Butt and Abid Hussain Wani, both Class 11 students of a government school.

Butt and Wani were among seven persons detained after the National Investigation Agency (NIA) traced the email to an internet café in Kishtwar, 230 km from Jammu.

After getting the information from the NIA on September 8, the police detained the owner of the cyber café, his brother and an employee.

The police also questioned a few college students who were present in the café when the email was sent. Subsequently the police released all but Butt and Wani.

Sources told Hindustan Times both of them would be shifted to Delhi for further interrogation. Butt’s family has a history of being involved in militancy. His two uncles, Farooq Ahmed and Irshad Ahmed, were militants who later surrendered.

However, Butt’s father said his son was being made a scapegoat.

“He did visit the cyber café the day the email was sent but that was after 2 pm, when the email landed in Delhi,” said Rafiq Ahmed Butt.