Two army jawans are suspected to have died in north Kashmir's Kupwara district on the intervening night of January 17-18 due to gas leak inside an army post near the Line of Control.
Sources said the jawans died after inhaling gas generated from a heating gadget, which was in use following nightlong snowfall in Nowgam sector, where these jawans were posted.
The deceased soldiers belong to the army's 17 Jat regiment and were manning the Padam Post. Sources said it was a case of asphyxiation due to leaked gas. An internal inquiry has been started into the incident.
The army is,however, tight lipped over the incident.