Security agencies and police have been able to identify at least two men who are suspected to have planted the bombs that went off in Hyderabad on Saturday last.
Raids were taking place in various parts of Hyderabad to nab the duo who could have planted the bombs that were believed to have been assembled by Mohammad Sharifuddin, a Bangladeshi national, official sources said.
While Andhra Pradesh Police was tight-lipped about the developments, sources here said the role of Harkat-ul-Jehadi Islami (HUJI) was almost certain after Sharifuddin's name cropped up during the investigations into the twin blasts.
Sharifuddin had extended support to HUJI and other Pakistan-based militant groups purely for monetary gains, sources said.
Sharifuddin is believed to have undertaken the task as per the order of HUJI commander Abdul Sahil Mohammed.
Throughout July and early August, Mohammad left dozens of Internet-chat messages for his Hyderabad operative, asking them to go ahead with the plans he had earlier authorised.
In a related development, senior Home ministry officials tonighttook stock of the security situation in Hyderabad and the investigations into the twin blasts that left 43 people dead so far.
Sources said a serious view was taken about the preparedness of Andhra Pradesh Police despite repeated intelligence warnings about an impending terror attack.