Two women get five yrs RI in '93 blasts case | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 03, 2016-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Two women get five yrs RI in '93 blasts case

india Updated: Jun 14, 2007 15:00 IST

PTI
Highlight Story

Two women convicted for their role in the 1993 serial blasts, Mubina Bhiwandiwala and Zebunissa Qazi, were on Thursday, sentenced by a special TADA court to five years rigorous imprisonment.



Bhiwandiwala, who allowed her residence to be used for conspiracy meetings in which the plan to carry out the serial blasts was finalised, was directed to pay a fine of Rs 25,000 by the court in addition to the prison term.



Special TADA judge PD Kode said that prime accused Tiger Memon, who is absconding, "lured" Bhiwandiwala by


offering her money and held that she knew the purpose of the meetings as her residence was in the vicinity of Memons' residence in Mahim in central Mumbai.



After hearing her sentence, Bhiwandiwala made an emotional appeal to the judge and special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam to waive her sentence saying she was a victim of someone else's wrongdoing.



In addition to the prison term awarded the court directed Qazi to pay a fine of Rs one lakh for her role in keeping AK-56 assault rifles, ammunition and hand grenades at the behest of absconding accused Anees Ibrahim Kaskar. The arms had been brought there by convict Manzoor Ahmed Sayyed and gangster Abu Salem, who is yet to face trial in the case, the court said.



Judge Kode held the weapons were merely kept at her residence and the possession continued to be that of the person who had kept them there. The court noted Qazi had also not indulged in distribution of the weapons.



These are the first of the three women convicts, only Rubeena Memon remains, to be sentenced by the court and with this court has now awarded sentences to 75 of the 100 people convicted by it.