The United Nations is considering consolidation of unarmed observers on the ground in Lebanon after four of them were killed on Tuesday when their post was destroyed by Israeli bombs.
UN officials said the peacekeeping operation has some 2,000 soldiers and 50 unarmed observers whose mandate was to report on any violation.
The observation post hit had only four unarmed observers. A UN spokesperson said that three bodies had been recovered and the fourth was in the process of being recovered.
The Security Council is considering the mandate of the peacekeeping operation which is due to expire on July 31. Secretary-General Kofi Annan has recommended that it be extended for one month as in interim measure to enable to the Council to consider wider issue whether it needs to be changed or terminated as it discusses the possibility of induction of an international stabilization force.