UP cantonment put on high alert
The alert declared due to Mumbai blasts will affect 75,000 civilians besides families of military personnel.india Updated: Jul 14, 2006 16:59 IST
A high alert has been declared in the cantonment area of this city after the Mumbai bomb blasts and entry has been restricted to sensitive areas without proof of identity, sub area commander Brig S Khajuria said today.
Passes will be issued to residents of the cantonment area. To pass through four sensitive roads - Kariyappa Marg, Thimmaiya Marg, Nehru Marg and B S Marg - commuters will have to disclose their identity and reason for their visit, he said.
Military and local intelligence units had recommended these measures after visiting the areas, Khajuria said.
Besides the families of military personnel, about 75,000 civilians also live in the cantonment area and pass through 82 connecting roads in the area.
"We will issue stickers, passes and identity proof to such people so that they do not face any problem," he said.
"If someone tries to sneak into sensitive areas, he cannot escape as arrangements had been made to block exit points in an emergency," Khajuria said.