Hours after being taken into custody for an alleged poll code violation during the 2009 Lok Sabha elections, minister of state for minority affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on Wednesday confirmed that he had been granted bail and said he would proceed according to the law.
Naqvi and 19 BJP workers were given a one-year jail term by an additional civil judge court in UP after he was convicted of violating prohibitory orders during the 2009 Lok Sabha polls.
The minister and his partymen were taken into judicial custody and released on bail when their lawyers moved the bail application in the evening. “We are not satisfied with the decision of the court”, Naqvi’s lawyer Shyamlal told HT over the phone, adding that he would appeal in the sessions court against the decision.
The decision of the court shocked the minister and his supporters who had gathered outside the court. Naqvi’s lawyer Shyamlal moved the bail application in the evening and the court granted bail to all the accused, including the minister.
Reacting sharply to Naqvi’s bail, Congress leader Manish Tewari demanded that the Union minister and senior BJP leader step down.
“It is no automatic disqualification but the fact is that if a criminal court has convicted a person who is part of the council of ministers, he or she should very seriously introspect whether continuing in the government is a proper thing to do or not,” Tewari said.