Five persons died and about a dozen took ill after consuming illicit liquor in Nibhara village of Unnao district in Uttar Pradesh, officials said on Sunday. This was the third such incident in the district this year.
According to police sources, three villagers -- Kallu, Rajendra and Vinod -- started feeling uneasy after consuming hooch and were rushed to LLR hospital, Kanpur.
However, Vinod (30) died on Saturday night while Kallu (20) passed away on Sunday morning. Soon, more such cases started pouring in and a few patients were admitted to district hospital.
Later on Sunday Kishan Pal (60), Hanuman (50) and Prithvi Pal (20) also died after their condition deteriorated.
After getting the information about the incident, police raided the house of the liquor seller Rajendra in the village and seized a container filled with toxic liquor.
Taking serious note of the incident, the administration suspended eight police and excise department officials, and shifted superintendent of police, Unnao, Mahendra Pal Singh.
Those suspended were district excise officer PC Pal, excise inspector Ajay Kumar, inspector Kotwali Parashuram Tripathi, two sub-inspectors and three constables.
The district administration sent the bodies of the deceased for post-mortem, while district magistrate Saumya Agarwal announced compensation for the victims’ kin.
On June 4 this year, five people died, and on July 12, 18 people lost their life after consuming illicit liquor in the district.