UP: Girl 'raped, killed', assailants disfigure her face | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 23, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

UP: Girl 'raped, killed', assailants disfigure her face

india Updated: Feb 15, 2014 10:10 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Uttar Pradesh

A girl was allegedly raped and strangled in Ambedkar Nagar district of eastern Uttar Pradesh on Friday. The assaulters disfigured her face with acid, making it a tough job for the police to establish her identity.

"It appears to be a case of rape and murder. The body of the girl was found in a field. The culprits used her duppata to strangle her, and poured acid on her face and hands to hide her identity," said Ambedkar Nagar circle officer Hari Govind Mishra.

The incident took place in Satrahi village, around 150km from state capital Lucknow. The police registered a case in this connection and the body was sent for post-mortem.

Read: Four acid attack cases reported in 7 days in MP

Local station house officer Om Prakash Yadav said several injury marks were found on the body. "It seems the culprits raped the girl and then killed her. They dumped the body at a desolate spot and poured acid on her face."

He added villagers found the body and informed the police. "Investigation was on and we are trying to identify the victim."

The incident came a day after a dalit woman was set ablaze, allegedly by her employer, in Kirra village of Bulandshahar district in western Uttar Pradesh.

Read: Dalit woman set ablaze for resisting employer's sexual advances

The woman was subjected to the brutality apparently for resisting a rape attempt by Aas Mohammad, a brick kiln owner.

She suffered 95% burns and was admitted to a local hospital. Later, the doctors referred her to Meerut district hospital. The police said Mohammad and his associates had sprinkled kerosene oil on the woman and set her on fire.

Read: Valentine's Day couples targetted in Ahmedabad

Bulandshahar senior superintendent of police Umesh Kumar Singh suspended a sub-inspector on charges of dereliction of duty. Mohammad and his associates were arrested and sent to jail.