The Supreme Court on Wednesday said it would fix on September 23 an early date for examining the question of ordering a CBI probe into the multi-crore rupee Uttar Pradesh provident fund scam involving judges and other VIPs.
A bench headed by Justices Arijit Pasayat, decided to fix the date after the UP Government's additional advocate general Shail Dwivedi sought advancement of the hearing for considering the issue.
The apex court had earlier asked the State Government whether it was open to a CBI probe in the wake of the disclosures by the Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP), Ghaziabad stating that it was "impossible" for the local police to investigate freely.
The bench, while slamming the UP government for concealing the SSP's views on the issue, had asked the Mayawati Government to file its reply in an affidavit in two weeks and had posted the matter for further hearing to October 22.
But now in view of the UP Government's plea for advancement of the date, the apex court said it would decide an early date on September 23.
The apex court was furious after the official letters written by the SSP to the DGP for being relieved from the case, and recommending transfer of the case to the CBI to ensure a free, fair and impartial investigation into the scam was brought to its notice by senior counsel Anil Divan, appearing for the Ghaziabad Bar Association.