UPA saved Quattrocchi, says BJP | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 25, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

UPA saved Quattrocchi, says BJP

india Updated: Jun 09, 2007 21:23 IST
HS Bartwal

The BJP on Saturday attacked the UPA Government over its failure to secure extradition of Bofors accused Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi from Argentina and demanded that the CBI should go in appeal against the order of the Argentinian court that had refused permission to send him to India.



"We are not surprised at the Argentinian court's order because of the manner in which the CBI has been handling this case and the way the nation was kept in the dark about the news of Quattrocchi's arrest for 17 days," BJP spokesman Ravi Shankar Prasad stated.



He alleged that for more than the past 10 to 15 years, all Congress-led governments and those supported by the party had been protecting Quattrocchi.



Prasad also charged the government of having shelved investigation into a case where the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) had got an FIR filed against a person named MD Rao who was posing as an advisor the the PM. He claimed that after raids at Rao's Hauz Khas residence revealed cash worth rupees two crores, further proceedings in the case were stopped as it came to light that he had close links with Quattrocchi's son.



Meanwhile, BJP deputy leader in the Lok Sabha, Vijay Kumar Malhotra, stated the Opposition would register its protest on government's handling of the Quattrocchi case both inside and outside Parliament. He said a debate sought by his party on the issue could not take place in the last session but the government would certainly have to answer questions on it in the next session.