The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has deferred results of the civil services examination due to the Supreme Court verdict scrapping Jat reservation and has asked the government to take a stand on their exclusion from the OBC quota.
The UPSC declares the results of the Civil Services (Main) Examination in mid-March. This is the second of the three-tier civil services examination to recruit bureaucrats for key civil services including the IAS and the IPS. Only those declared successful at the Main examination are interviewed at the third stage.
The UPSC communication came in the backdrop of Jat leaders lobbying with the government, and the BJP, to take steps to restore the quota benefits. On Thursday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi told a 70-member delegation of Jat leaders that the government was studying the verdict and “will try to find a solution to the issue within the legal framework”.
Party sources said finance minister Arun Jaitley would be requested to look into the matter since it involves legal issues as well.
The civil services exam is the first major recruitment examination that would be impacted by the SC verdict striking down last year’s order extending OBC quota benefits for Jats living in 9 states including Bihar, Gujarat, Haryana, UP and Delhi.
Sources said the UPSC had primarily approached the government to confirm that Jat candidates — who had applied as OBC candidates — should be treated as general category.
“The matter has been referred to the law ministry for its opinion. The decision will be conveyed in a day or two,” a government source said, indicating that UPSC would be advised to treat Jat community candidates as general category.
In due course, the government would also have to take a call on the fate of Jat candidates who may have been selected on the basis of their new-found OBC status last year.