'US still at risk for other attacks after foiled plot'
The United States is remaining vigilant for other attacks after last week's foiled plot to blow up airliners.india Updated: Aug 13, 2006 22:36 IST
The United States is remaining vigilant for other attacks after last week's foiled plot to blow up airliners, the chief of homeland security said on Sunday, citing concerns that terror groups may "think we are distrated".
Michael Chertoff, secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, said he expects the Bush administration to keep the US on its highest threat alert for flights headed to the US from Britain and at its second-highest level for all other flights.
"We haven't fully analysed the evidence, so we are concered there are some plotters out there," he said. "We're also concerned about other groups who may carry out attacks because they think we are distracted."
The continuing high level of alert "suggests a real uncertainty about whether they have fully plumbed the scope of the plot, and whether they've wrapped everybody up," Chertoff said. "They also have to be concerned about copycats - other groups that may think they have the opportunity to carry out a plot."
Police in England have arrested roughly two dozen people, saying they had thwarted a plot to blow up as many as 10 passenger planes flying between Britain and the United States. At the same time, they have stressed the danger has not passed, saying their investigation was continuing.
Chertoff said he would like to see a renewed look at US laws that could give authorities in Washington the flexibility to detain suspects for longer periods of time.