Varun Gandhi released from Etah jail | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 29, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Varun Gandhi released from Etah jail

india Updated: Apr 17, 2009 01:54 IST

Aggression was palpable in his silence. Not a twitch appeared on his lips. But Varun Gandhi's unblinking eyes and a fist punching the air seemed to have conveyed a lot about what he was feeling as he walked out of the Etah jail around 6.25 pm on Thursday.

The young BJP candidate for Pilibhit Lok Sabha seat stepped out of the jail after 19 days in a purple kurta and white churidar without a smile on his face, waved and then folded his hands to the crowd and slipped into the front seat of a waiting SUV and drove off to Agra. Mother Maneka followed in another car. He reached Delhi late in the evening.

Earlier in the day the Supreme Court had rejected the Uttar Pradesh government's argument and ordered conditional release of BJP leader Varun Gandhi for 15 days from preventive detention under National Security Act to enable him contest the Lok Sabha election from Pilibhit.

A bench headed by Chief Justice K G Balakrishanan ordered Varun's release after he gave an undertaking not to make provocative speeches promoting communal disharmony during the parole. Varun had to file an undertaking before the superintendent of Etah jail and furnish a bond of Rs 50,000 and two sureties of the same amount. Varun will have to inform the Pilibhit district magistrate about his whereabouts while out on parole.

The court would consider his plea for extending the parole on May 1.
Meanwhile, UP chief minister Mayawati has told Varun to behave properly or be ready to face even more stern action.

Talking trouble

March 7: Varun delivers the alleged hate-speech in Pilibhit.
March 16: Election Commission notice to Varun.
March 17: A case registered against Varun in Barkhera on the direction of the EC.
March 28: The BJP debutant surrenders amid violent protests in Pilibhit. NSA Act invoked against him next day.
March 30: Varun gets bail in all three cases, except NSA.
April 1: Varun shifted to Etah district jail, challenges NSA in Supreme Court.
April 13: Varun gives an assurance to SC saying he would not make any "provocative" speeches during his election campaign if released on bail.
April 14: SC not satisfied with undertaking demands another one, which Varun promptly submits.
April 16: SC grants two-week parole to Varun. He steps out of Etah jail later in the day.