A Special Court, hearing the Marad massacre case relating to the killing of nine people on the Marad beach here in May 2003, will pronounce its verdict on Saturday.
Adequate security arrangements have been made in and around the city to check possible outbreak of violence after the verdict is pronounced.
Prohibitory orders will be in force in several areas from 7 am from Saturday for two days, police sources said.
The killings were carried out by assailants who reportedly arrived on the beach from across the Chaliyar river by boat. The dead, eight of them belonging to a majority community also included one of the accused who was killed accidentally during the attack.
The communal violence, the worst ever in the state's history, was said to be in sequel to the attack that took place in the same area a year before in which five persons were killed.
In all, there are 139 accused in the case, including five minors. The main accused is the brother of one of the victims of the first incident.
The verdict was originally scheduled to be pronounced earlier this month but the Judge informed the court that he would require additional time to complete his report.
While 13 accused were granted bail by the Kerala High Court recently, the same was later cancelled in five cases as they failed to adhere to the bail conditions.
Several families had migrated from the area soon after the incident fearing fresh violence and a special police station was set up at Marad to maintain a constant vigil.
The then A K Antony led UDF Government had sanctioned Rs 10 lakh as relief to the kin of the victims and Rs five and Rs three lakh to the injured.