Violent protests at encounter site in Kashmir; militant dead, soldier injured | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 23, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Violent protests at encounter site in Kashmir; militant dead, soldier injured

india Updated: Jul 05, 2014 17:23 IST
Peerzada Ashiq
Peerzada Ashiq
Hindustan Times

Violent protests by locals broke out amid raging encounter in south Kashmir's Pulwama district on Saturday that left a militant commander dead and a soldier injured. Two police vehicles were burnt in the protests.

The encounter was sparked when a joint party of the army and police zeroed in on a house around 4:30 am in Tral area's Aaripal-Patsuna village, 40 km south of Srinagar.

"The terrorists trapped in the house fired upon the joint team injuring one army man. The fire was retaliated. In the retaliatory fire, one terrorist was injured who fled to the nearby Pastuna forest area," said Srinagar-based police spokesman of the zonal headquarters.

The security forces widened the circle of operation and found the body of the militant from Pastuna forest area later. The police identified the slain militant as Adil Pathan alias Madni of the Jash-e-Muhammad outfit. The slain militant belongs to Pakistan.

"An AK-rifle and three magazines were recovered from him. Madni operated in coordination with Hizbul Mujahideen cadres in Tral area," said the spokesman.

Madni was later buried by locals.

However, while the operation was on, residents from nearby area converged on the encounter site and started throwing stones at the security forces. One more militant, suspected to be a local, was also trapped at the encounter site where the operation is still on.

"After the death of the foreign terrorist some miscreants pelted stones on police. The miscreants set afire two police vehicles. These vehicles suffered damage. The police exercised maximum restraint," said the police spokesman.

There were no reports of injury to any civilian.

On June 24, a civilian was killed in a similar protest in north Kashmir's Sopore area where a militant was killed in an encounter earlier in the day and protesters attacked the security forces withdrawing from the encounter site. The police's retaliatory action left the civilian dead.