Vyapam scam whistleblower fears for his life as protection withdrawn

  • PTI, New Delhi
  • Updated: May 18, 2015 00:44 IST

The Delhi Police has withdrawn the security given to Prashant Pandey, the whistleblower who made headlines after exposing the Professional Examination Board (PEB) scam in Madhya Pradesh.

Pandey, a digital forensics expert, says he is cautious about almost everything after the police withdrew the security cover provided to him at the instruction of Delhi High Court.

The Delhi Police justified their move saying Pandey’s petition had been disposed of and, in the final order, there was no mention of any security to be provided to him. The high court, in its February 20 order, had directed the SHO of Malviya Nagar police station to provide security to Pandey after he said that he fears for his life as he feels a threat from ‘influential people in power’ in Madhya Pradesh government and the state police force.

“There is no security from Delhi Police. The security personnel have been withdrawn. I fear for my security and for my family,” Pandey said.

After his expose, that showed alleged irregularities in government job recruitments in Madhya Pradesh, MP police had registered a case and named high-profile politicians in it. During this period, eight witnesses and the prime accused have been found dead under mysterious circumstances, including MP governor Ram Naresh Yadav’s son Shailesh.

Pandey has now approached the Supreme Court, where he filed a petition seeking security cover and a thorough probe into the scam as he claims that only 5% of irregularities have been exposed so far and much remains to be probed in the PEB or Vyapam scam.

The MP high court-appointed Special Investigation Team is supervising the probe by the state’s Special Task Force, in which the role of some of the senior state government officials and politicians has come under the scanner.

also read

Govt in ‘mission mode’ to expand aviation sector, says PM Modi
Show comments