The state’s new ATKT scheme will allow thousands of students who failed their Class 10 exams to apply for junior college. But their wait is not over yet.
Though the state director of education announced on Tuesday that ATKT admissions into Class 11 should begin on Tuesday, the office of the deputy director of education for the region is still in the process of implementing its action plan for this scheme.
“After a meeting on Wednesday, we will send our communication to students and Mumbai colleges,” said KV Wankhede, deputy director of education, Mumbai. In the Mumbai, Thane and Raigad districts there are 32,017 students eligible under this scheme.
City college principals say they will begin admissions only after they get instructions from the Mumbai regional office. “Until yesterday, we haven’t got nay circular,” said Harsha Mehta, principal of SIES College, Sion (West).
The principals also have reservations about how the ATKT students will cope with the syllabus they have missed so far.
“The first-term examinations are under way, and a large part of the portion has been already been covered,” said Suhas Pednekar, principal of Ruia College, Matunga.