We’ll have to think of code of conduct for media: CM | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 28, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

We’ll have to think of code of conduct for media: CM

The media received its share of brickbats on Wednesday during a debate on the Adarsh housing scam in the assembly. Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and his predecessor Ashok Chavan alleged that the latter had to step down because of a ‘media trial’ in the Adarsh case.

india Updated: Dec 09, 2010 01:57 IST
HT Correspondent

The media received its share of brickbats on Wednesday during a debate on the Adarsh housing scam in the assembly. Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and his predecessor Ashok Chavan alleged that the latter had to step down because of a ‘media trial’ in the Adarsh case.

“There was widespread anguish over the case. The media also played a role. I agree with Ashok Chavan that he became a victim of the media trial,” said the CM while replying to the debate over Adarsh. “This kind of trial is dangerous. We will have to think of a code of conduct for the same.”

Prithviraj Chavan later told the media that it is a fact that the media creates a perception, but insisted that the code of conduct had nothing to do with the Adarsh scam.

Earlier, Ashok Chavan, too, had blamed the media for his ouster. “I had no role in giving various permissions to the housing society, but I was selectively targeted, which raises a doubt if there was a conspiracy against me," he said. "The Niira Radia tapes have shown that nobody is clean."

Chavan resigned as CM last month after names of his three in-laws appeared in the list of Adarsh society members.

Giving a clarification in the assembly during the debate over Adarsh, Chavan insisted that the land given to Adarsh society belonged to the state government and it was never reserved for Kargil war heroes as reported in the media.

“The development plan for Mumbai city was prepared in 1991 while Kargil war happened in 1999. Where was the question of reserving plot for the same?" he said. “It was not a scam but an administrative issue. The Kargil for Profit perception was wrong. A trial was conducted and I was sentenced.”

Pointing fingers at his predecessors without naming them, Chavan said, “Various allotments and permissions were given to Adarsh between 1999 to 2004.” He demanded that a thorough enquiry be conducted so that people know who did what and he would come out clean.

Chavan added that two of the three members of his extended family had served in defence.

The former CM came to the assembly with documents to show that the ministry of defence never owned the plot. “If the land was not owned by defence, the government had the right to allot it to any housing society and anybody could become a member of the same,” he said.

Chavan also issued a veiled threat to the Opposition, saying that he had records of allotment of plots since 1995 when opposition members were given residential plots by the government at subsidised rates.

“Any of you may have to face a similar situation in future,” Chavan told legislators in the assembly.