West Bank pullout plan not dead: Israel | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 03, 2016-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

West Bank pullout plan not dead: Israel

india Updated: Sep 05, 2006 12:45 IST
Highlight Story

An Israeli minister said on Tuesday that the government has not completely abandoned a plan to withdraw from large areas of the West Bank.

"The plan is not dead, it's been postponed," Interior Minister Roni Bar-On told Israel Radio. "It's not a priority right now. ... The plan has been put on the shelf."

When Prime Minister Ehud Olmert was asked in a parliamentary committee meeting on Monday where the plan was headed, he said "What I advocated several months ago has changed," according to a meeting participant.

Support among the Israeli public for the West Bank withdrawal has dropped drastically since Palestinian militants captured an Israeli soldier at a military base near the Gaza Strip on June 25 and Hezbollah militants in Lebanon captured two other soldiers--a cross-border attack that lead to a 34-day war against the militia that ended last month.

tags