What killed Mansi ? vitamin-A or mid-day meal? | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 25, 2017-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

What killed Mansi ? vitamin-A or mid-day meal?

A CHILD died and a few others fell seriously ill in city?s Chituapur Paijaba locality, hours after a team of doctors gave them vitamin-A doses at the Bhedimandi Prathmik Vidyala this afternoon. They also reportedly had mid-day meal in their school. Mansi (7) and Akash (8), both studying in the same primary school run by the Nagar Nigam, came back home around 2.30 pm and soon started vomiting. When their condition deteriorated, they were rushed to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee (Civil) hospital at around 4.30 pm.

india Updated: Dec 02, 2006 01:47 IST

A CHILD died and a few others fell seriously ill in city’s Chituapur Paijaba locality, hours after a team of doctors gave them vitamin-A doses at the Bhedimandi Prathmik Vidyala this afternoon. They also reportedly had mid-day meal in their school.

Mansi (7) and Akash (8), both studying in the same primary school run by the Nagar Nigam, came back home around 2.30 pm and soon started vomiting. When their condition deteriorated, they were rushed to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee (Civil) hospital at around 4.30 pm. Another girl Pratibha (8), with similar symptoms, was admitted to the Trauma Centre in a critical condition late in the night.

Dr VC Sethi of the SPM hospital told HT that the kids had irregular respiration and were vomiting when they were brought to the hospital. “We attempted to stabilize their condition but could not save Mansi,” he said. Following the death, agitated family members of Mansi demanded that they be handed over the body without a post-mortem examination.

“We need to conduct a post-mortem examination to know the exact reason behind the death, said Dr Sethi adding, “Usually such serious reaction does not occur from oral medicines. But we have preserved the vomit of the children as this could tell us what exactly went wrong with the kids.”

When examined, the remarks on the register of the school mentioned about the visit of doctors at 11 am. According to it, Dr Daya Chaturvedi gave the children tips about hygiene and healthy living before administering vitamin-A.

Meanwhile, the health officials here have sealed the medicine and the register. They have denied that vitamin-A may have been the reason behind the children’s illness.

“The medicine was given to the kids only in standard one and those who fell ill belonged to other classes. This was a routine programme to give vitamin. The medicines were supplied by the Central government,” said Dr Jai Singh, incharge of the district immunisation programme.

He said that since all the kids were served mid-day meal, investigation of the food should also be done.