Woman dies in hospital, family alleges negligence | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 19, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Woman dies in hospital, family alleges negligence

india Updated: Feb 01, 2013 13:19 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A 40-year-old woman died at Desun Hospital owing to alleged negligence in treatment by doctors. The deceased’s relatives have lodged an FIR with the nearby Tiljala police station on Wednesday.

Relatives alleged that the patient, Meena Singh, died soon after she underwent an openheart surgery at the hospital on January 25. She was admitted to the hospital on January 22.

“Our patient died after the surgery but the hospital authorities kept the body on ventilation just to increase the charges,” said Dinesh Singh, the deceased’s brother. The hospital already charged a hefty bill of Rs. 2.75 lakh to the patient party though it had offered a health package of Rs. 1.5 lakh for her treatment. “They warned us saying that if we can’t pay the full amount of Rs. 2.75 lakh they would take steps against us,” said Dinesh. He alleged that one of the doctors who performed the surgery left for Siliguri just 24 hours after the operation thought the patient’s condition was critical.

“We were stunned to know that he had left Kolkata on January 26. How could a doctor become irresponsible when his patient remained critical?” husband Pradip Singh said. Pradip is a taxi driver, who sold one of his cabs to pay Rs. 90,000 from the total bill.

“One doctor who told us that the patient’s heart beat was normal but she has been taken on ventilation as there were chances of internal hemorrhage. Then only we thought of going for another opinion and got the plates of CT scan examined by a doctor in another private hospital,” said one of the family members of Meena Singh. “We were told to go home as they said that our patient won’t be awake before five hours after surgery. But we started worrying about her condition when she didn’t regain consciousness even on January 26 morning,” said Pradip.

Hospital authorities and the surgeons denied the allegations.

“The patient went into a comatose state after surgery. Whatever allegation the patient party is raising against us is false. The truth will be out only after post mortem,” said Prabal Ghosh, one of the doctors.