Woman, infant son charred to death | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 19, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Woman, infant son charred to death

india Updated: Jul 26, 2010 00:43 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Greater Noida

A 26-year-old woman, wife of an engineer working with a reputed company in Greater Noida, and her four-month-old infant were found charred to death inside their house in Johri Enclave of Loni on Saturday night.

Rajni Sharma and her infant son Arjun died after fire broke out in their room Saturday night. The incident took place when the victim's husband Prashant Sharma was in office.

"The bodies of both the woman and the child were burnt beyond recognition," Superintendent of Police (SP) A.K. Vijeta said.

The victim's family members alleged that her in-laws and husband were demanding a flat in Noida, as a result the victim was under severe pressure.

"Her husband was demanding a flat in Noida within close proximity to his office. My sister was under pressure and had to be treated for depression for the past several months,” said Dharam Veer, victim's brother.

"Just a few days ago, she returned to her in-laws and on Saturday, her neighbours informed us about the incident,” he said .

Police officials stated that no traces of petrol, kerosene or any other inflammable substance was found inside the room and the victim's body was found lying a couple of feet from the door while her child was found lying on the bed.

"She may have committed suicide and did not try to escape from the room,” a police official said.

Although the police and forensic experts denied the in-laws' direct involvement in the incident, the victim's family lodged a dowry harassment and murder case against six of her in-laws.

On Sunday morning, the police arrested four in-laws while the victim's husband is yet to be traced. "More arrests will be made soon,” the SP added.

A case under sections 498(a), 304(b) and 302 (murder) has been lodged at the Loni police station, police said.