Woman journalist dies after a fall from high rise | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 20, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Woman journalist dies after a fall from high rise

india Updated: Jul 23, 2014 08:25 IST
Saurabh Trivedi
Saurabh Trivedi
Hindustan Times
woman journalist death

A 32-year-old woman journalist working with Rajya Sabha TV was found dead under mysterious circumstances at the basement parking lot of her apartment at Vaishali on Monday night.

According to Indirapuram police, the victim Milita Dutt Mandal, who was working as a producer with Rajya Sabha TV allegedly jumped from eighth floor of Mahagun Mosaic Phase II society. She was later taken to a Delhi hospital where she was declared brought-in dead. The victim was living in the flat along with her husband Surya Jyoti Mandal, mother-in-law and their three-year-old daughter. Victim’s husband is working with British Council Division in Noida’s sector 62.

“Indirapuram Police is investigating this case. The victim’s body had multiple fractures and as of now we are not treating this as a case of suicide,” said Dharmendra Singh, Senior Superintendent of Police, Ghaziabad.

Indirapuram police was alerted by the Delhi police about the incident after the hospital authorities informed them. The victim’s family took her to Max hospital in Patparganj after the incident where doctors declared her brought-in dead.

“The body has been sent for post mortem at Lal Bahadur Shastri hospital in Delhi by the Delhi Police,” said an investigating officer. However, doctors couldn’t conduct the post mortem on Tuesday as victim’s relatives weren’t present in the hospital for completing paperwork.

“After visiting the scene of crime it seems that victim had fallen from her flat situated on the eight floor of the building and hit the basement. Plastic sheet of the shaft on basement area was found damaged,” said an investigating officer.

Police said they will investigate the case probing all possible angles. A forensic team has already surveyed the spot from where the body was found on Monday afternoon. Investigating officer said that they will question the security guards and the victim’s husband to ascertain whether the victim was thrown from the eighth floor or she committed suicide by jumping from the balcony. “We will get some clarity on the case once we get the post mortem report from the hospital,” said the investigating officer.

The couple had got married in 2009 and had recently returned from a trip to London.

As per the entry records of the society, it was found that Milita had entered the society driving her car at 11.10pm. She directly went to the basement parking area to park her car. It was around 11.55 pm, that her husband took critically injured Milita to hospital in his car.