Youth detained, ?tortured? | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 11, 2016-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Youth detained, ?tortured?

india Updated: Jan 10, 2007 01:23 IST
Highlight Story

A YOUTH was allegedly kept under illegal detention at the Koh-e-Fiza police station and tortured for over three days. The complainant, Jitendra Singh Parihar, 25, has now approached the Madhya Pradesh Human Rights Commission (MPHRC), which has taken up the case and sought report from Superintendent of Police (SP) within three days.

District Superintendent of Police Anant Kumar Singh said that he has received the MPHRC missive and asked the CSP to conduct an inquiry. 

Parihar, a petrol pump employee, was reportedly picked up for questioning on the morning of January 4 and kept under illegal detention until the evening of January 7. When he came out the family was shocked to see his condition.

He was allegedly beaten up with belts and lathis. He bore injury marks all over his body and could barely walk. Parihar’s family members allege that the police wanted to extract a confession from him in connection with a murder.

“They did not have any evidence against him but kept on torturing him so that he would succumb to the pressure and make the confession which police wanted”, claims his brother-in-law Vikram Singh.

Parihar’s father works with the State Roadways. When the police told him that they wanted to interrogate him in connection with the murder of Sridhar Dwivedi, his family members let him go with them. However, it was only on the fourth day that Parihar could come out of the lock-up in a battered state.

Dwivedi worked at a petrol pump near Lal Ghati and was found dead on December 24. “If they had an evidence against him, they could have right away arrested him rather they kept him illegally detained for so many days”, says one of the relatives of Parihar.

“They just wanted to make me one of the co-accused and wanted me to admit that I had a fight with the deceased even though I was not shown the person’s photo to identify”, says Parihar, who alleges that the Koh-e-Fiza Station Officer G P Sharma and other police personnel subjected him to torture.

“At the hospital where Parihar was medically examined, the Station Officer tore up the medical report”, alleges Vikram Singh. “Sharma threatened that if we got Parihar medically examined elsewhere, he would implicate Parihar for murder”, Vikram alleged.

The family members subsequently approached the MPHRC where the complaint was registered. Besides, the family has written to the Superintendent of Police (SP) and the DGP.

“Ever since we have approached various forums for help, we are getting a barrage of cell phones calls threatening us and asking Parihar to again get back to police station”, said Vikram Singh.