2 die after drinking contaminated water in Barwani village | indore | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

2 die after drinking contaminated water in Barwani village

indore Updated: Jul 08, 2015 22:38 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
unsafe water

Two people died and 12 others hospitalised after consuming water from a well at Kari village, around 3kms away from Barwani district headquarters, on Wednesday, police said.

Chief medical and health officer Dr Rajni Dabar said a preliminary investigation suggested that Bhagwan Dhangar, 48, and his neighbour Mukesh Prajapati, 32, died due to diarrhoea after consuming contaminated water.

Dabar said a medical team examined 60 people and found 12 of them were affected by diarrhoea. He said the family members of Dhangar and Prajapati brought them to district hospital when their condition deteriorated.

Villagers said the water from well, which they used for drinking purpose, was contaminated as it got mixed with drain water.

Collector Ravindra Singh said, “We are waiting for the post-mortem report. There may have died due to some other reason.”

Singh said, “As soon as the matter came into our notice, we dispatched revenue and PHE teams with doctors, paramedical staff and health workers, who visited door to door and distributed oral medicines and chlorine tablets among the affected patients.”

He said, “The situation is under control and no further death is reported till now.” He said besides providing medicines to the affected patients, the teams of health workers distributed water-purifying tablets among the villagers and asked them to consume water from prescribed source.