2000 fall ill in Indore after attending Iftar party
About 2000 people fell ill in Indore after attending an Iftar party hosted by Bohra community members on Sunday late night.indore Updated: Jul 04, 2016 22:08 IST
About 2000 people fell ill in Indore after attending an Iftar party hosted by Bohra community members on Sunday late night.
It was reported that people had gone to the community centre in Saify colony and started complaining of loose motions and nausea soon after the Iftar. This number started increasing after 11 in the night and soon the number increased and reached somewhere close to 1500.
The situation of some of the patients became so critical that an ambulance from MY hospital had to be called in. Also some had to be rushed to a couple of government hospitals and private hospitals near the colony. As per reports around 19 patients were admitted at MY Hospital, 50 in Choithram hospital, 200 in Anand Hospital and the rest were distributed in Suyash hospital, private clinics and other government clinics till late night.
The source of food poisoning could not be made clear. However, it is being assumed that a sweet made of Mawa could have been adulterated.
Though by the time the team comprising of food inspector, doctors reached the spot no leftovers of the sweet were left. “We suspect that the sweet was the only perishable item in the Iftar and the chances of an adulterated mawa are high. It was also the only food item that was largely consumed by people,” said Manish Swamy, food inspector.
Though an inquiry into this matter by the SDM was also initiated, a couple of officials on conditions of anonymity said that it is for the first time that a catering contract was given to an outsider and this could have led to a bad food quality.
Dr SK Porwal, chief medical health officer and Dilip Singh ADM also visited the patients in several hospitals and stated that all the patients are fine and are being given proper medical care in city hospitals.