Delay in RTE admissions in second round worries parents in Indore | indore | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 28, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Delay in RTE admissions in second round worries parents in Indore

indore Updated: Oct 13, 2016 11:49 IST
Milind R Lashkari, Indore
Indore

The parents are worried that the delays may throw their children’s academic schedules off track and create problems.(File Photo)

Anxiety levels are increasing day by day among thousands of parents in Indore over repeated delays in admission of their kids under the right to education (RTE) even as the school education department initiated second round of admission and decided to bring online lottery system on Monday.

Most of them are worried that these delays may throw their children’s academic schedules off track and create problems.

This year in Indore, the department has received 18,689 registration forms – the highest in the state against 38,189 reserved seats in 1,463 private schools in the district. Only 4,873 applicants were admitted in the first round so far.

Over 1.34 lakh children across the state, including 8,666 eligible children from the city, are going to benefit from the second round of admission.

Worried parents claimed though they applied for the second round of admission, they did not get any message from the department so far and they came to know about the start of verification of documents from October 13 through newspapers.

District project coordinator AS Rathore said those parents who applied for the second round admission but did not get any intimation from the department can find out the status of their applications at verification centres.

The verification of documents is going to be done at all six block resource coordinator offices between October 13 and 20.

Talking about the delay, many parents also complained that last year the process was completed in the first week of June and students who got admission under RTE were able to attend classes from the beginning of the academic session, adding this year the process is going on even after half of the academic year has passed.

Expressing her concern, Pratibha Damore, a 29-year-old parent, said, “Now even the June session has begun but still there is no clarity on RTE admission dates.

“It will be difficult for students to make up missed classes and for teachers also who will have to put in extra efforts to bridge the gap for RTE students.”

Disgruntled over the same reason, 34-year-old parent Vishnu Uike said, “Who are responsible for delay? Though the department has brought online lottery system this time to bring transparency in admission process, but the process got delayed as many schools keep their registrations pending to avoid RTE admissions.

“We almost lost one year and next year schools will reject our kids’ admission saying they are over-age.”