Given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen, baby dies in Indore hospital | indore | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 25, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen, baby dies in Indore hospital

An infant admitted to the MY Hospital in Indore died on Saturday after staffers accidentally administered nitrous oxide instead of oxygen during a surgery conducted at its paediatric intensive care unit.

indore Updated: May 29, 2016 14:40 IST
MY Hospital in Indore .
MY Hospital in Indore . (File Photo)

An infant admitted to the MY Hospital in Indore died on Saturday after staffers accidentally administered nitrous oxide instead of oxygen during a surgery conducted at its paediatric intensive care unit.

Another baby who was subjected to the same mistake soon afterwards is battling for his life, hospital sources said.

An investigation revealed that there was a mix-up in the lines carrying the gases to the respiratory equipment at the newly constructed paediatric unit. Police have registered an FIR against the contractor concerned, and an internal probe has been launched into the role of the doctors.

“This was a huge mistake on the part of the builder. He has admitted his mistake in writing, but we still want to take strict legal action against him. Also, action will be taken against the doctors if they are found to be at fault,” said divisional commissioner Sanjay Dubey.

Describing the events that led to the tragedy, MY Hospital PRO Dr Vijay Agrawal said: “Two infants were being operated on, and the doctors were using the operation theatre for the first time. While one patient did not require any anesthesia, the other – a five-day-old infant called Ayush – had to be administered oxygen. His condition deteriorated soon afterwards.”

The infant – the son of Ganesh, a resident of Ghadavti village in Khandwa – was shifted to a ventilator, where he was declared dead on Saturday.

Officials said the negligence on the part of the hospital authorities became evident from the way the paediatric unit was used again to operate on a one-year-old baby on Saturday, without identifying the cause of the first incident. The child is now in a critical state.

The unit was inaugurated in a grand function on Tuesday, with many top officials hailing the facility as the best setup for paediatric care in the state.

A ban was imposed on the media by MY Hospital authorities a few days ago, after it was reported that around 10-12 people died there over the past month due to a shortage of ventilators. It was lifted only after the media retaliated and senior officials intervened.