Indore: 3 cops suspended for negligence leading to engineer’s death | cities | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 21, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Indore: 3 cops suspended for negligence leading to engineer’s death

cities Updated: Jan 08, 2016 16:08 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Madhya Pradesh

The family members of Saurabh Suryavanshi and residents of Bhagirathpura at DIG office in Indore on Wednesday.(Shankar Mourya/HT photo)

Deputy inspector general, Indore, suspended three policemen of Vijay Nagar police station in Indore on Thursday for negligence of duty in relation to the death of an engineer whom the officials had admitted to a hospital for head injury.

The DIG suspended ASI Khaka Singh, head constable Jabar Singh and constable Hirom Dwivedi, besides ordering an inquiry into the matter.

On December 31, Saurabh Suryavanshi, an engineer and resident of Bhagirathpura, was found injured at Narmada Nagar by ASP (west) Devendra Patidar of Vijay Nagar police, who called the control room. A squad of two constables led by an additional sub inspector took him to a private hospital and left him at MY hospital without informing his family members.

The victim, however, went missing and was found dead on January 4 inside the hospital premises on January 4. The family members came to know about the incident after the postmortem was done in MY hospital in the presence of police.

“An enquiry by a CSP level officer has been ordered and if other staff of any police station was found guilty, action will be taken against them. Doctors or administrative staff of both the private and public hospitals involved in this case will also be under the ambit of the enquiry and criminal cases will be lodged if found guilty,” said the DIG.

“How come an injured person, admitted to a hospital, went missing? What was the hospital staff doing then? The ASP had dutifully called the police control room but Vijay Nagar police have shown gross negligence,” added the DIG.

Police sources said the victim lost sanity because of his injuries and kept on roaming in and around the premises of MY hospital for four days.

Demanding action against the hospital authorities for negligence, family members of Saurabh alleged that he had enough documents for anyone to identify him but neither the police nor the hospital staff bothered to inform them. Sandeep, the victim’s brother, said Sourabh had gone to attend a party on the New Year Eve at Patel Resort and had not returned since then.

Constable Hari Om Dwivedi had recovered Sourabh’s wallet and his mobile phone but did not inform his family members. Addressing mediapersons, Dwivedi said he had informed his senior officers and had gone home to change his dress after an allegedly drunk Saurabh vomited on him on their way to MY Hospital.