Indore gears up for the festival of lights | indore | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 21, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Indore gears up for the festival of lights

As Diwali festivities begin, the air is filled with the fragrance of marigolds that have already flooded the Indore markets.

indore Updated: Nov 12, 2015 20:19 IST
HT Correspondent
Girls prepare Rangoli  a day ahead of Diwali in Indore on Tuesday.
Girls prepare Rangoli a day ahead of Diwali in Indore on Tuesday.(Shankar Mourya/HT photo)

As Diwali festivities begin, the air is filled with the fragrance of marigolds that have already flooded the Indore markets.

These orange and yellow flowers, which are in huge demand for making torans and rangolis during the festive season, were being sold for sold for Rs 40 to Rs 60 per kg on Diwali eve and the cost was likely to rise further on Wednesday. The rate of the flower is normally around Rs 20.

A flower seller at Harsiddhi Mandi told HT that the city consumes approximately 1,000 quintals of marigold on Diwali.

Till Tuesday evening, rose petals were being sold for Rs 80 per kg and rose sticks were selling for Rs 80 to 100 per bundle.

Lotus, which is offered to the goddess Laxmi during puja, was selling at Rs 10 per stick.

“About 80% of marigolds sold in Indore markets come from neighbouring Ratlam district. The rest 20% are supplied from villages of Indore district, Deepak Jadhav, a flower wholesaler at Harsiddhi, said.

Designer diyas, candles a fad this festive season

Diyas made of terracotta with a Ganesha and Laxmi idols are the latest in the offing this Diwali.

Several makeshift shops or kiosks have sprung up across the city to meet the growing demand among the middle class in the business capital of the state this time.

The terracotta diyas, designed and painted with an ethnic touch are no longer restricted to verandas and balconies. The decorative lamps, especially those with multiple wick-holders or glass work, have now made way into the drawing rooms as well. The diyas are available in a wide range, from Rs 5 to Rs 50.

Diwali cannot be complete without candles. Floating or scented, twisted or ones with glitters and sequins, candles are a rage during Diwali.

And the markets along Maharani Road to Riverside road are providing a wide variety to the candle lovers in the city.

Shivam Gupta, a candle shopowner at Siyaganj area, said: “People are now changing. Earlier, earthen diyas with mustard oil and ghee were used to decorate homes during Diwali. But now, designer candles and lamps are in demand. Though diyas have not lost their religious significance, but their demand has definitely fallen.”