Properties and raw material worth several lakhs of rupees were destroyed when an incense stick manufacturing unit in Dewas Naka area on AB road in Indore caught fire on Thursday morning. Firemen battled for over four hours to douse the fire completely.
The fire broke out at Maysore Deep Perfumery around 5.15 am when work in the nightshift was on. Workers had a narrow escape as they managed to rush out of the building at the nick of time.
Fire department officials suspect that a short circuit could have caused the fire, but they are yet to confirm the real reason behind the blaze. While no casualties have been reported in the incident, the fire department is yet to ascertain the total loss.
According to the fire department officials, fire fighters had a tough time taming the blaze as inflammable raw materials, like perfumes and chemicals, caused minor explosions that triggered panic in the area. The wind also hampered firefighting efforts to a large extent.
At least 50 water tankers, chemicals and foam were used to douse the fire completely. All the raw materials, chemicals and bundles of packed incense sticks were destroyed in the fire.