MP: 1,500 fall ill in Ujjain after eating 'prasad' on Mahashivratri | indore | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 20, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

MP: 1,500 fall ill in Ujjain after eating 'prasad' on Mahashivratri

Nearly 1,500 devotees fell ill after eating 'prasad' distributed on the occasion of Mahashivratri at Roopakhedi village, 30 kilometres from Ujjain, on Ujjain-Makshi road in MP. The condition of a woman and a child is said to be serious.

indore Updated: Feb 18, 2015 00:20 IST
HT Correspondent
A-patient-being-brought-to-district-hospital-in-Ujjain-Sunil-Magariya-HT-photo
A-patient-being-brought-to-district-hospital-in-Ujjain-Sunil-Magariya-HT-photo

Nearly 1,500 devotees fell ill after eating 'prasad' distributed on the occasion of Mahashivratri at Roopakhedi village, 30 kilometres from Ujjain, on Ujjain-Makshi road in MP. The condition of a woman and a child is said to be serious.

More than 200 people are being treated in different hospitals of Ujjain including the district hospital.

Chief medical and health officer (CMHO), Ujjain, NK Trivedi confirmed that nearly 1,500 people suffered from food poisoning of which 200 are undergoing treatment in different hospitals.

According to sources, a large number of devotees, who had assembled at a Shiva temple in the village were served 'khichadi'. After eating it, many of them started vomiting and complained of uneasiness and dizziness. Soon, a pandemonium broke out as many more people complained of vomiting.

Assistant sub-inspector (Kotwali) RP Gehlot said investigation is on to find out if it was a mischief or callousness of puja organisers.

Collector Ujjain, Kavindra Kiyawat, visited the village and the hospital to take stock of the situation.