MP: Girl, who immolated self to ‘escape stalker’, dies | indore | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 23, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

MP: Girl, who immolated self to ‘escape stalker’, dies

A class 10 student who had allegedly set herself on fire to escape “stalking” by a minor boy died on Monday, four days after she suffered over 80% burn injuries at her home at a village in Indore district.

indore Updated: Oct 27, 2015 14:40 IST
HT Correspondent
Family members of the girl said she took the extreme step as the harassment by the minor boy of the same village had become unbearable.
Family members of the girl said she took the extreme step as the harassment by the minor boy of the same village had become unbearable.(Representative photo)

A class 10 student who had allegedly set herself on fire to escape “stalking” by a minor boy died on Monday, four days after she suffered over 80% burn injuries at her home at a village in Indore district.

Family members of the girl said she took the extreme step as the harassment by the minor boy of the same village had become unbearable.

Simrol police station in-charge SD Mule said that the incident occurred at Wai village, about 10-kilometre from Simrol on October 22.

“She was admitted to the Maharaja Yeshwantrao Hospital here in a serious condition with 80 per cent burn injuries. Best efforts were made to save her, but she passed away on Monday wee hours here,” he police added.

Family members staged a protest demonstration at the Simrol police station over their allegedly callous attitude towards the accused against whom they had lodged a complaint about two-and-a-half months back. Though police had booked him, they had slapped minor sections and subsequently he got bail from a juvenile court, they said.

After he was granted bail, the boy had started harassing the girl and even threatened to kill her eight-year-old younger brother.

Police, however, said preliminary investigations based on the girl’s dying declaration at hospital, indicated that it was freak accident as a kerosene lamp had fell on her girl while she was preparing morning meal at her home.

Her clothes had caught fire and since there was no one at home at the time, her cries for help unheeded, Mule said. He also said that the accused was produced at a juvenile court from where he got bail.

Later, the boy was shifted to Indore where is working as domestic help at Khandwa Naka.