No other vehicle other than i-buses should ply on the 11.5 km-long BRT corridor in Indore, the Madhya Pradesh high court said on Tuesday.
At the Jabalpur bench of the high court, Justice Rajendra Menon heard the case after a division bench in Indore had given opposing judgements on October 10 last year on whether or not to ban four-wheelers from entering the BRT corridor. Currently, four-wheelers ply inside the corridor along with i-buses.
In his petition, social activist Kishore Kodwani had argued that the Bus Rapid Transit System (BRTS) in its present form was unsafe and several changes were needed.
"When the report of the expert committee shows that plying of certain class of vehicles like four-wheelers in the BRTS corridor is not in public interest and the committee has given various reasons and justification for not doing so. This assessment of the expert committee can be accepted as prima facie correct for the purpose of passing of the interim order and deciding the interlocutory application," Justice Rajendra Menon said.
Meanwhile, Indore collector Akash Tripathi said the administration will seek the opining of the advocate general in the matter. "We will ask the opinion of the advocate general on how to proceed in the matter. Many things, including signal timings on the crossings, will have to be changed before we ban the four-wheelers (from entering the BRT corridor)," Tripathi said.
It may be recalled that on October 1, 2013, a division bench of the high court in Indore had stayed the collector's notification which allowed only i-buses to ply on the dedicated BRT corridor. Subsequently, the district administration had filed an application before the court asking that four-wheelers be stopped inside the corridor as it was unsafe and leading to accidents.