Patient administered with glucose meant for veterinary use | indore | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 24, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Patient administered with glucose meant for veterinary use

indore Updated: Aug 01, 2015 14:30 IST
Neeraj Santoshi
Neeraj Santoshi
Hindustan Times
Patient administered with veterinary drug

A 65-year-old patient was administered glucose meant for veterinary use in a Madhya Pradesh district hospital on Friday, but he is reported to be safe now, a senior doctor said.

The staff nurse of the hospital in MP’s Raisen district has been suspended for negligence and a three-member panel set up to probe how the glucose bottle meant for animal use crept into the hospital, chief medical and health officer (CMHO) Shashi Thakur said.

Civil surgeon AC Agrawal said that Azimmullah was admitted to the district hospital on Friday morning with complaints of vomiting and abdominal pain. However, it was found that he had been administered “25 % dextrose ( Vet)” “before his family brought it to our notice,” he said ,adding “The condition of the patient is fine now.”

Chief medical and health officer said during the primary probe it was found that the company pack in the hospital contained two such bottles. “This is the mistake of the company that supplies these bottles to us. We are looking into the matter further and accordingly action will be taken against the company,” she said.

Thakur, however, ruled out that there could be serious health complications in case glucose meant for animals was administered to a human being as both had the same chemical composition.

District collector JK Jain said he had directed the drug inspector to take an appropriate action in this case. He said that additional district magistrate Shashi Bushan Singh and sub-divisional magistrate OS Marawi visited the spot and confirmed the incident.

A 65-year-old patient was administered glucose meant for veterinary use in a Madhya Pradesh district hospital on Friday, but he is reported to be safe now, a senior doctor said.

The staff nurse of the hospital in MP’s Raisen district has been suspended for negligence and a three-member panel set up to probe how the glucose bottle meant for animal use crept into the hospital, chief medical and health officer (CMHO) Shashi Thakur said.

Civil surgeon AC Agrawal said that Azimmullah was admitted to the district hospital on Friday morning with complaints of vomiting and abdominal pain. However, it was found that he had been administered “25 % dextrose ( Vet)” “before his family brought it to our notice,” he said ,adding “The condition of the patient is fine now.”

Chief medical and health officer said during the primary probe it was found that the company pack in the hospital contained two such bottles.

“This is the mistake of the company that supplies these bottles to us. We are looking into the matter further and accordingly action will be taken against the company,” she said.

Thakur, however, ruled out that there could be serious health complications in case glucose meant for animals was administered to a human being as both had the same chemical composition.

District collector JK Jain said he had directed the drug inspector to take an appropriate action in this case. He said that additional district magistrate Shashi Bushan Singh and sub-divisional magistrate OS Marawi visited the spot and confirmed the incident.