Patient injured while trying to smoke at Indore hospital; major mishap averted

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Indore
  • Updated: Mar 24, 2015 17:18 IST

A major tragedy was averted at MY Hospital in Indore on Tuesday when the oxygen pipe of a patient, Rameshwar, who is admitted in ward 27, caught fire. The 60-year-old was undergoing treatment for tuberculosis and was admitted in the intensive care unit a week ago.

According to sources, the patient was a habitual smoker and was trying to light a 'bidi' despite being put on artificial respiration.

When the flame of the 'bidi' came in contact with oxygen, it resulted in the ignition of a huge flame. The face and neck of the patient were severely burnt but luckily the flame did not enter the oxygen pipe.

“A major tragedy was averted. If the flame would have entered the pipe, the entire oxygen line could have burst. We have a central line for the supply of oxygen and it could have led to a major disaster,” said a nurse on condition of anonymity.

Dr AD Bhatnagar, superintendent, MY Hospital said he had no clue about the incident as he is on leave. The doctor-in-charge Dr Sunil Narang said, “The patient received burn injuries and is being treated. The pipe caught fire because it came in contact with the flame." According to nurses, he was smoking with his face covered under a blanket.

The fact that a patient was able to smuggle cigarettes inside a ward without being caught has again put a question mark on the security at the hospital.

also read

BP Singh to be new chief secretary of Madhya Pradesh
Show comments