She wouldn’t take own life, says Indore-based scribe Pooja’s father | indore | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

She wouldn’t take own life, says Indore-based scribe Pooja’s father

indore Updated: May 03, 2016 20:51 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Pooja Tiwari death case

Members of Indore Press Club hold a meeting in Indore on Tuesday to condole Pooja Tiwari’s death. (Arun Mondhe/HT)

Indore-based journalist Pooja Tiwari’s death from falling from the fifth floor of a building in Faridabad is believed to be suicide, but her father believes otherwise.

“She could not have committed suicide,” said Ravi Tiwari, her father. “She was a brave girl and was hoping to get support from the media organisation she worked for to come out clean from the charges she was facing.”

Pooja was charged with extortion and cheating after she conducted a sting operation on illegal medical termination of pregnancy in Faridabad.

The doctors named in the report, which was published on the news portal she worked for, in turn, alleged that Pooja was trying to extort money from them using false reports and a case under various sections of the Indian Penal Code and the IT Act was registered.

Thereafter, she was suspended by the media organisation and an in-house inquiry was initiated to verify the credibility of her reports.

Pooja was in a flat in Sector 56 with two friends — Indore-based journalist Amreen Khan and Haryana police inspector Amit Kumar — when the incident took place on Sunday night, police said.

“As per the statement of eyewitnesses Amreen and Amit Kumar, Pooja Tiwari started drinking in the evening and continued after dinner,” said Surajkund station house officer Rajinder Singh.

Some media reports speculated Kumar’s possible involvement in the death, but her father, Ravi Tiwari, rubbished the claims.

“Amit is a family friend. He went to Pooja’s place on Sunday to counsel her. I asked Amit to go to her and extend her support,” he said.

She was upset with the turn of events and often discussed her problems with family. She was in Indore on April 15, when she said her organisation had deserted her when she needed their support most, Ravi Tiwari recalled.

“She was given a standing ovation by her colleagues when she did that sting operation. Later, when the police case was registered against her, the organisation withdrew its support,” he said.

Pooja was asked to report to the organisation’s Mumbai headquarters and she was ready for it, confident that she would come out clean, he added.

“She could have accidentally slipped from the balcony,” said her father.

Journalists held a condolence meet at the press club in Indore on Tuesday and demanded a fair inquiry into the matter.