Govt forms three probe panels, marriage hall owner absconding
The committees will look into the incident, safety and security measures of marriage gardens and the delay in providing treatment to the injured.jaipur Updated: May 12, 2017 20:39 IST
The Rajasthan government Thursday constituted three panels to inquire into the wall collapse at a marriage hall in Bharatpur district that left 25 people dead and 28 injured even as the police registered a case against the hall owner who is absconding.
“One committee (led by additional district magistrate) will probe the incident. The second, headed by Urban Improvement Trust (UIT) secretary, will conduct a survey of all the marriage homes to check their safety and security measures and the third will probe whether there was any delay in treatment or any kind of laxity on part of the RBM Government Hospital staff where the victims were rushed,” state health minister Kalicharan Saraf told reporters.
All the three committees have been asked to submit their reports within a week.
The incident occurred Wednesday night at Annapurna Marriage Home on Sewar road where a 12-feet high wall collapsed in a storm trapping wedding guests.
The marriage home was operating without permission from the Bharatpur Municipal Corporation.
The health minister visited the RBM Hospital in Bharatpur to inquire about the health of the injured and also the site of the incident.
He said a power cut at the hospital made the task of doctors difficult but the electricity supply resumed after 10 minutes. It will be probed whether the power cut occurred due to negligence on part of any employee or it was due to the heavy winds, which hit the region last night, he said.
“It was brought to my notice that the generator of the hospital was out of order and there was only one inverter. I have asked the hospital authorities to replace the generator as soon as possible,” the minister said.
He said that of the more than two dozen injured, five are recuperating at RBM Hospital, two are being treated at a private hospital and another two have been referred to the SMS Hospital in Jaipur. The others were discharged after treatment.
The minister said free treatment will be provided to all the injured.
“The state government will give a compensation of ₹2 lakh to the families of the deceased and ₹ 50,000 for seriously injured. A similar compensation has also been announced by the PM,” he said.
Bharatpur district collector N K Gupta had also announced a compensation of ₹ 50,000 for the next of the kin of the deceased and ₹10,000 for injured.
Earlier in the day Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed grief at the incident. “The incident in Bharatpur has pained me beyond words. My thoughts are with the families of the deceased. I hope the injured recover soon,” he said in a tweet.
Chief minister Vasundhara Raje said the district administration has been directed to provide all possible help to the victims’ families and the injured.
Meanwhile, former chief minister Ashok Gehlot demanded new guidelines for marriage gardens across the state to prevent such incidents. “Local bodies charge taxes from the marriage gardens, therefore it is their duty to inspect them regularly to ensure that all norms are being followed,” he said.
Former chief minister and Congress leader Ashok Gehlot has demanded new guidelines for marriage gardens across the state to prevent such incidents.“Local bodies charge taxes from the marriage gardens. Therefore it is their duty to inspect them regularly to ensure that all norms are being followed,” he said.